If there isn’t a chest-thumping, jaw-dropping, fist-clenching story connected to that ol’ scar o’ yours, you probably want it gone yesterday.
But it has other plans. Some scars are temporary and go away with time, but a few stick around beyond their welcome.
The nature of a scar depends on the severity of the damage to the skin. If the wound is deep, it’ll take longer to heal. The body forms more collagen to make up for the damage, making the scar thicker and more noticeable.
Each scar has some defining characteristics that determine the nature of remedies required to get rid of them.
You can opt for laser skin resurfacing, and even excising of the scar tissue during surgery, but these are expensive procedures that aren’t always worth it.
Before dipping into your fishing fund, try these ultra-manly, scar-stomping methods for preventing scar formation and/or getting rid of old scars.
How to Get Rid Of Old Scars Naturally
There is no magic wand that can make your scars go away completely. The effectiveness of the following home remedies depends on the severity of the scar and the stage of its formation.
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is increasingly being used in many cosmetic beauty products. There is no reason you can’t use it to heal scars, even the old ones. In fact, the anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera gel help heal wounds quickly to promote regeneration of skin cells.
- Peel the dark green skin off the aloe vera to reveal a transparent gel.
- Rub the gel directly over the scar in a circular motion.
- Rinse off the surface after 30 minutes with a cold water
- Follow this routine at least twice a day
2. Onion Extract
Like aloe vera, onion also has anti-inflammatory properties. The products containing onion extract are used to control the growth of collagen and soften the scar to make it less noticeable. It is most effective in healing fresh scars.
- Take a fresh onion and grind it to extract its juice.
- Apply the onion juice to the scar.
- Let it dry for 15 minutes, then rinse it off.
- Use this remedy 3-4 times a day for better results.
Honey has been the most effective remedy for healing several types of wounds and injuries since ancient times. The bioactive compounds present in raw honey accelerate the regeneration and growth of tissues to heal the skin without leaving any scar.
- Make a mixture of honey and baking soda.
- Before going to bed, apply the mixture to the scar.
- Cover the area with a bandage and leave it for a night.
- Remove the bandage the next morning and wash off the area with warm water.
- Follow this routine every night.
4. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is rich in omega fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants. These antimicrobial compounds penetrate deep into the skin to moisturize and regenerate new cells and tissues. This miraculous remedy treats various skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema.
- Take a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil and melt it by heating.
- Apply the melted coconut oil to the scar and massage gently for a good 10 minutes.
- Leave it for a night. Then, repeat 2-3 times during the day.
The bioactive compounds in lemon have antioxidant properties that control hyperpigmentation of the skin. This remedy is most effective in getting rid of scars caused by acne and pimples. Ensure you are not allergic to lemons before going ham with this one.
- Cut a fresh lemon in half.
- Rub the lemon gently over the scar and squeeze a few drops on it.
- Let it dry for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water.
6. Potato Juice
Potato juice comes with phytochemicals that can get rid of the scars caused by pimples and acne. In addition, it has a cleansing effect on your skin and helps to reduce pigmentation spots.
- Crush a raw potato to extract fresh potato juice.
- Dip a cotton ball in it and rub the juice over the scars.
- Let it dry for 10 minutes and rinse it off.
- Follow this routine 2-3 times a week.
(Healthline suggests an alternate potato method: Slice potatoes into ‘medium thick rounds,’ and rub them on the scar for 20 minutes, replacing the rounds if or when they dry out.)
If you aren’t prepared to try a laser treatment or surgery, these inexpensive and natural remedies are definitely worth trying.
And if your old scars just won’t fade, you can always resort to the joking retort if ever they do come up in conversation. Pick a good one here.